Hipmunk survey reveals Millennials’ travel habits and what they want from the flight experience
Hipmunk has announced the results of a survey it conducted on generational air travel preferences. Polling more than 3,000 travelers, the results revealed that Millennials want unique on-board flight experiences – even if it increases the cost of their tickets.
According to the study, Millennials are willing to pay extra to spice up their onboard experiences. For instance, 38 percent of Millennials are willing to pay more for an airline ticket that would give them access to an “open bar” on a plane, while only 18 percent of Generation X travelers want to pay more for free flowing alcohol. In addition to unlimited drinks, 79 percent of Millennials would enjoy a “themed” seasonal flight with snacks, drinks, and seasonal movies, whereas only 64 percent of Generation X travelers wanted that type of experience.
When it comes to socializing in the air, 45 percent of Millennials want to connect socially with other passengers via electronic chat, games, or social networks, while only 36 percent of Generation X travelers want to.
“Airlines used to live in a world where the only things that mattered were fares and schedules,” said Adam Goldstein, CEO of Hipmunk. “Millennials show how the industry is shifting. Tech-savvy travelers care more about the in-flight experience.”
What are other Millennial travel preferences?
- 70 percent would sit next to restrooms on the plane for a reduced fare, but only 54 percent of Generation X travelers would do the same
- Millennials are last-minute bookers: 47 percent of Millennials book their vacation travel at least 6 months in advance. By comparison, 59 percent of
- Generation X travelers book their vacation travel at least 6 months in advance
- 28 percent of Millennials would be willing to stand on a flight to save money, compared to 16 percent of Generation X travelers
- 24 percent of Millennials would be willing to pay more to fly on a “child-free” plane, compared to 18 percent of Generation X travelers.
Hipmunk surveyed 3,187 US travelers. Hipmunk defined Millennials as those between the ages of 18-34, and defined Generation X as 35-54 years old. The survey was conducted in October of 2013.