Fourth New Horizons survey on global youth travel to be launched
For immediate release
Amsterdam, 6 April 2017
FOURTH NEW HORIZONS STUDY ON GLOBAL YOUTH AND STUDENT TRAVEL TO BE LAUNCHED
The World Youth Student and Educational (WYSE) Travel Confederation is pleased to announce plans to launch the fourth global study of youth and student travel, New Horizons, in May 2017.
New Horizons is the only recurring global survey of the youth travel segment. The aim of the study is to provide a global overview of the youth and student travel market, which WYSE Travel Confederation and UNWTO have estimated to account for more than 280 million international arrivals in 2016.
Among many other questions about the young traveller, New Horizons tries to answer:
- Who travels, where, why, and how
- How trips are planned and booked
- How much is spent and on what
Last conducted in 2012 and generating more than 34,000 responses from 137 countries, New Horizons discovered that on average the youth and student traveller spent just under EUR 3,000 for his/her last main international trip – a growth of 40% since the 2007 survey.
WYSE Travel Confederation, a global membership association for the youth travel trade, is known for its global travel trade events and research specifically on the youth and student travel market.
“The young traveller used to be considered at the fringe of mainstream tourism, but is now acknowledged for his or her potential to offer a crystal ball glimpse into the future of travel,” said David Chapman, Director General of WYSE Travel Confederation.
Suppliers of travel products tailored to the youth and student traveller are invited to participate in the fourth New Horizons study. More information is available at www.wysetc.org/research
– Ends –
Notes to the editor
For media enquiries please contact:
WYSE Travel Confederation
Keizersgracht 174-176 | 1016 DW Amsterdam | The Netherlands
firstname.lastname@example.org | +31 (0)20 421 2800 | www.wysetc.org
About New Horizons:
New Horizons The global study of the youth and student traveller is the only recurring global survey of this market. Since its first iteration in 2002, New Horizons has expanded in both scale and scope, going from 2,300 responses in 2002 to 34,000 in 2012. The aim of New Horizons is to provide an overview of the global youth and student travel market and answer questions such as:
- Who travels, where, why, and how?
- How are trips planned and booked?
- How much is spent and on what?
This will be the fourth New Horizons study conducted by WYSE Travel Confederation. The global youth and student travel market is estimated to account for more than 280 million international arrivals in 2016.
About WYSE Travel Confederation:
- The World Youth Student and Educational (WYSE) Travel Confederation is a global not-for-profit membership organisation dedicated to promoting and developing opportunities for the youth, student and educational travel industry.
- Founded in 2006 and created from the merger of the Federation of International Youth Travel organisations (FIYTO) and the International Student Travel Confederation (ISTC) – both formed after World War II to inspire young people through international travel and to help remove cultural barriers – the confederation brings together 60 years of youth travel expertise.
- Providing international travel experiences to over 30 million youth and students each year, WYSE Travel Confederation’s global community of over 600 members spans more than 120 countries from a diverse range of sectors.
- From adventure tour operators to au pair agencies, cultural exchange programmes to language schools, hop-on-hop-off buses to student insurance and youth hostels to volunteer programmes, WYSE Travel Confederation is the world’s most powerful network of youth and student travel professionals, connecting key industry players with decision makers and government officials.
- The Confederation is committed to understanding the ever-changing characteristics, motivations and needs of young travellers. By gathering, analysing and sharing important market intelligence with members, academics and government decision-makers, the unique fast-changing needs of the youth market is at the forefront of its activities as it seeks to accelerate the development of youth travel. * For more information, visit www.wysetc.org or follow the organisation on Twitter, Facebook and LinkedIn.