ITB Berlin 2010Berlin, Germany — 10-14 March 2010
Latest Backpacker stats from Tourism Research Australia
The latest stats from Tourism Research Australia (TRA) have just been released, these are for the year ending March 2015.
In short Australia remains a massively desirable country to visit.
Young travellers are looking for Australian culture, a wonderful climate, cuddly animals, a great lifestyle and beaches, plus new work opportunities.
The youth market is only going to grow. The low Australian dollar is great for tourism, making Australia even more desirable and affordable.
The main backpacker findings of the report are:
- Backpackers account for 13% of the total tourism spend in Australia, AUD 3.2 billion.
- Backpacker numbers are up 4% from the same time last year.
- Backpacker total numbers are 606, 000 with average spend of AUD 5295 per person.
- Sydney continues to lead as the most visited destination by 72.8% of backpackers, also accounting for 24.2% of all visitor nights.
- Melbourne takes silver, visited by 48.4% of backpackers with 15.4% of all visitor nights.
- Brisbane takes bronze, visited by 34.5% of backpackers with 9.9% of all visitor nights.
- Tropical North Queensland (Cairns) is doing well, visited by 33.1% of backpackers with 6.4% of all visitor nights.
- North Coast NSW (Byron) hosts 23.8% of backpackers, with 3.3% of all visitor nights.
- Gold Coast hosts 21.8% of all backpackers, with 3.1% of visitor nights.
- Whitsundays hosts 20.3% of all backpackers with 1.9% of visitor nights.
In conclusion; travellers are still post arrival decision makers when it comes to travel and looking at the stats, Sydney and Melbourne top the charts commanding 40% of all visitor nights.
If you are not marketing your products in Sydney or Melbourne, you are missing the opportunity to showcase your business before they decide where to go travelling.
Source: The Byte
Join WYSE Travel Confederation
If you’d like to join WYSE Travel Confederation and benefit from new connections, free access to industry research, informative webinar sessions, discounts on industry events and brand exposure within the youth and student travel industry, click below to view our membership options and find out more.